The Supercommittee: Just another political stunt

At this point, no one gives any credit to congress anymore. Actually, that’s not true – 14% of Americans approve. But the other 86% of us see through the political maneuvering and bickering. We see a group of several hundred men and women who were elected to be our leaders, but act like school children.

That is why I have no confidence whatsoever in the “super committee” appointed by the heads of Congress. Bipartisanship? Compromise? Real spending cuts and tax increases instead of accounting tricks and posturing? I doubt it. But we can only hope. Is the super committee a real fail-safe in the budget bill to make sure spending cuts are enacted? No. The real purpose is to prolong the “debt crisis” as long as possible. The more camera time that congressmen and women can get, the more beneficial it is for their careers. They all want to be the heroes of the republic, but at this point the charade has been discovered by even the most partisan voters.

It is obvious at this point that the two parties are working together not to cut the deficit or maintain our financial markets’ stability, but to keep their jobs. They are putting on a show to keep Americans divided on the issues, when it is plain and simple what we must do. Our spending is at the highest level in history, while our taxes are at the lowest. The gap needs to be narrowed from both sides without any accounting tricks. Cutting in half a 50% increase in spending does not amount to a spending cut in the real world, and it should not in Washington either. We must hold our politicians responsible for their corrupt gerrymandering and bickering.

It should be obvious to the politicians by now that they are going to be voted out of office. They have managed to destroy our country’s credibility on an international level, crash the financial markets, and produce a period of complete economic calamity at home. If they think that they are going to be re-elected they are delusional; the least they could do at this point is take a look at reality: shrinking retirement accounts, stagnant job growth, and skyrocketing inflation. If they truly wish to call themselves Americans, they will accept the fact that they failed, stop the political gesturing, and get things done – together.

Advertisements

About revelationtoo

Gerald Welch is a progressive author living in Madison, WI. After becoming a victim of corporate fraud and runarounds, he decided to write two books, Welcome to Reality and Corporacracy, to share his experiences and ideas. Look for them in stores and online to understand his story and what Corporacracy means to you!
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

One Response to The Supercommittee: Just another political stunt

  1. google says:

    I liked your article is an interesting technology
    thanks to google I found you

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s